Tuesday, January 3, 2012

12 Tools for Your Triathlon Toolbox - #1 Pool/Trainer/Treadmill

I awoke to a cold and windy morning.  The thought crossed my mind to stay in bed and spend a bit more time underneath my new flannel sheets for another hour or so.  No sir!  There was a SWIM jumping out at me on my training schedule.  There it was in black and white: SWIM: 1,800 - 2,200 yards at the MLK Natatorium.  There were no asterisks indicating, "Unless it's really cold and windy, then you are free to stay in your new flannel sheets as long as your little heart is content!"  Nope!  It just said 104 days until the Florida Challenge (Half Iron-Distance Triathlon).  I got out of bed and reminded myself that the pool, pool deck and locker room are usually quite warm.  Just the walk to and fro the car and pool will be cold and windy.  

No excuses, right?  Just get your toolbox loaded!

This will be the theme of my next series of blog posts: Tools for Your Triathlon Toolbox!  These tools will help you smash any excuse you try to use!  As a Professional Triathlon Coach with Blue Iron Coaching, I've heard many excuses over the years.  Heck, I may have even used one or two myself!  It's time to cut the excuses and get on with training! 

"We find time for the things that are important to us.  Period." -Scott Douglas, Scott's Original Miscellany, Running Times - March 2011 

Yes.  It's cold today.  Yes.  It's windy today.  Yes.  It can snow, rain, ice, sleet in Atlanta from time to time.  Yes!  Triathletes can still train in inclement weather!  You just need to have some tools in your toolbox.

The pool is a fantastic tool to be used year-round for training!  Living in metro Atlanta does not lend itself to many open water swim options.  Join a pool and add it to your toolbox.

A trainer is another wonderful tool.  You can complete a great cycling workout without leaving the comfort of your living room!  Shop around for a fluid trainer, buy it, add it to your toolbox, use it and make it your friend!

Access to a treadmill is another handy tool for training.  If you belong to a gym, you are sure to find a treadmill. Or, you can invest in one for your home.  Either way, the treadmill is there so you don't have to miss your run workout when the weather is not ideal.  Find the closest treadmill and etch your name on the side for when you need to pull out that particular tool!

These are just a few tools to keep you training through the winter.  I've got a bunch more to share with you so keep an eye out for the next one!  If you feel you have an excuse I can't smash, please contact me at mari@blueironcoaching.com or give me a call at 404.667.0817.  I will gladly take on that challenge! 


No comments:

Post a Comment